Sunday, May 3, 2009

The struggle to royalty







I used to recall what my maternal grandmother told me: Only princesses are allowed to wear gold anklets.

That puzzled me for I thought that anklets just like bracelets and earrings are ordinary fashion statement. But I did not argue then nor mentioned to some friends who come from powerful families but have no royal lineage.

They proudly wore anklets and displayed them all around the high-school campus.

To me it was a non-issue.

Any lady can wear anything she wants to or adorn herself with anything she proudly wants to show off to the world. It is a personal choice. I was forced to wear gold anklets then at home but did not wear them outside.

However, after I graduated from college, I started wearing them. To this day, however, I stopped wearing anything on my ankle not unless I have the mood for it. There are days that I appreciate excesses but there are times I want nothing on my hands and feet.

My point is, I can choose to be whatever I want to be but sometimes, out of respect for my family roots, I need to adapt to whatever is expected of me. I do not see that as a form of control..I would say, out of love for my parentage.

No comments:

Empowered Women

Empowered Women